Honey has been known for its nutritional and medicinal values for centuries. It is loaded with antibacterial and antifungal properties as well as many nutritional benefits. Raw honey is far better than pasteurized honey. Honey that has been pasteurized loses most of its primary benefits and nutritional value. A tablespoon of raw honey contains 64 calories, is fat-free, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free, according to the National Honey Board. Its composition is roughly 80 percent carbohydrates, 18 percent water, and two percent vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
Below are a few suggested uses for honey. To read more about the value of honey and its uses, click here for the full Isha report.
Traditional remedies and uses of honey
- 1-3 teaspoons with a glass of room temperature water, twice a day nourishes tissues and helps alleviate weakness in the nervous system.
- 1-3 teaspoons with a glass of lukewarm water provides instant energy and helps in weight management.
Honey smeared over abrasions promotes quicker healing and minimizes the scar.
Benefits of honey and lemon
Twice a day, for 20 minutes each, apply equal parts of honey and fresh lemon juice on the face topically. This can remove black marks on the face.
Ginger honey drink
- Beat ginger and crush it to extract juice. Leave the juice for 15 minutes in a glass container.
- Leave the sedimentation and store the clear juice in a refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- Mix two teaspoons of this ginger juice and two teaspoons of honey and consume it in the morning every day on an empty stomach. This helps purify the blood. It can be consumed for 48 days once every 6 months.
- Wash fresh ginger and peel off the skin.
- Cut ginger into small pieces, soak it in honey in a wide mouth glass bottle.
- Cover the bottle mouth with a thin, white, cotton cloth and keep in the sun for 12 days.
- Consume 2-4 pieces daily in the morning and evening to get rid of any indigestion issues.
Mix four teaspoons of ginger juice, four teaspoons of honey and two teaspoons of lemon juice in three-fourths of a cup of water. Consume. This helps reduce your susceptibility to cold.
- Take fresh juice of one pomegranate and add one tablespoon of honey in it.
- Consume every day in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Make holes in dates by piercing them with a needle. Soak in honey and consume 2-4 dates twice a day.